Temple Ewell, like Ewell Minnis, originally came from the Old English æwell river-source. Temple was a later addition, alluding to its possession by the Knights Templar from the twelfth century. The place first appears on record as Æwille in 772.
Tonbridge was recorded in the Domesday Book 1087 as Tonebrige, It may indicate a bridge belonging to the estate or manor (from the Old English tun), or alternatively a bridge belonging to Tunna, a common Anglo-Saxon mans name. Tonbridge Castle was once owned by Richard de Tonebridge.
The 'Tonbridge' name, in the Late 1800's was actually known as Tunbridge, old maps prior to this date show it as such. A 1871 map shows the name Tunbridge. In the late 1890's/early 1900's this was apparently changed by the Royal Mail as it caused confusion with Tunbridge Wells (see below). The latter has always spelt its name that way - taking its name from the Wells near Tunbridge.
Tunbridge Wells is named after Tonbridge, acquiring a U instead of an O somewhere along the line to fit with pronunciation. The Wells refers to the medicinal springs discovered here in the seventeenth century, and the town was made Royal by King Edward VII. Locally made Wooden Boxes known as Tunbridge Ware were produced in the 18th and 19th centuries.